ABOUT ME, BRIEFLY


ABOUT THAM CHEE WAH, BRIEFLY

I have redefined retirement at age 23. I have a lifestyle where I do the things I like, with the time I have and still get paid for it. I designed my freedom these two decades, traveling to more than 40 countries. I run a successful business doing consulting works as a Corporate Writer, Corporate Emcee, Event Producer and a Workshop Facilitator. I am also a talk-show host on an Internet Radio station with two programs "A Course In Miracles for Work-Life" and "Freedom Speaks". Life is Healthy, Rich & FREE! You can design this lifestyle according to your willingness. I hope mine will inspire you to achieve that freedom too.

Saturday, April 03, 2010

Stay & Ride in Bali

When you see Beauty in everything - you are in Beautiful Bali
Some good accommodations in Ubud

Low-cost rooms and beautiful view of padi fields in Ubud


Hi Mr Tham,

I came across your blog about traveling in Bali alone. I am interested to do that as I have a short break. Do you have any recommendations of places to stay (safe for a single lady) and contacts for transportation?


I would really appreciate your input.
TH

Perama provides easy and low-cost transport to many tourist spots in Bali.
Hi TH

Good to know that you have some time off to take in a little bit of Bali on your own.  Truly, Bali is to be visited and enjoyed bit by bit, not in a rush.

It is a very safe place to be.  Single women or men.  You can walk in the dark and there will be people who are willing to give you rides to places without asking for anything back.  I have those experiences.

The choice of accommodation and transport are subject to your budget.

These are a few recommendations :

Use taxi - still very affordable, from Kuta to Tanah Lot, about 1 hr journey cost you Rp200,000

Get a bike to go around some nearby places - about Rp50,000 - Rp80,000 per day depends where you are.

Use public transport such as Perama buses, very good and will bring you to many tourist spots. Eg from Kuta to Ubud Rp50,000. And you get 10% off for your next trip to another destination covered by Perama.  Ask around, the friendly people in Bali will lead you to their offices.

I had used local public transport (those crankety vans) but the system is kind of chaotic in Bali, although it is the cheapest mode of transport. I paid only Rp2,000 when I left Tanah Lot, but the van dropped me at a junction to hop on another van (which you won't know what time they will appear), get to the main depot, then take another one to Gilimanuk (I had to get to the jetty to cross to Jawa). But if you have the time, try it, it is an experience worth the time spent.

All places to stay are save.  They are pretty good with price. When you take Perama buses, there will be small hotel or home owners who will approach you.  You can check the room by going with them.  If you take the taxis, just ask to be sent to a reasonably priced hotel.  I have stayed at clean room with attached bath that cost me only Rp88,000 (in Candidassa with hefty American Breakfast too, cooked by the friendly hotel staff and owners), anything less will not be suitable.  I have stayed in Ubud and paying up to Rp120,000 with breakfast.  The price really depends on where you are. More touristic, more expensive.  I have also stayed in those which is priced like USD70 per room per night.

But really, Bali is very very safe. So is the world!

Hope this helps.

Do feel free to write again.
Have a wonderful trip.

No comments: