ABOUT ME, BRIEFLY


ABOUT THAM CHEE WAH, BRIEFLY

I have redefined retirement at age 23. I have a lifestyle where I do the things I like, with the time I have and still get paid for it. I designed my freedom these two decades, traveling to more than 40 countries. I run a successful business doing consulting works as a Corporate Writer, Corporate Emcee, Event Producer and a Workshop Facilitator. I am also a talk-show host on an Internet Radio station with two programs "A Course In Miracles for Work-Life" and "Freedom Speaks". Life is Healthy, Rich & FREE! You can design this lifestyle according to your willingness. I hope mine will inspire you to achieve that freedom too.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Recipe for Spiced Plum Square



This is a very delicious Tea Time Treats.

Someone loved it so much, she asked me if I can make it, wrap it pretty and sell it as any pastry shop would.

Well, this baking has commercial value after all.

Enjoy this afternoon treat with tea or coffee - with friends of course!!

Spiced Plum Square
(Recipe from Comfort Food, published by Quadrille Publishing Ltd)

Cuts into 12 squares
Preparation 20 minutes (I took more than 1 hour)
Cooking 20 minutes (I like really brown ones, so 35 minutes is good)

150g/6oz butter, cut into pieces, plus more for greasing
300g/10oz self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
50g/2oz caster sugar
(I use brown sugar)
finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
about 150ml milk
700g plums, stoned and quartered
50g butter
50g light muscovado sugar
(I use brown sugar)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
icing sugar, for dusting
(I use Nutrifresh instead, less sweet)
cream or crème fraiche, to serve
(I eat it with ice-cream)

  1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6. Lightly grease a 23x33cm/9x13in Swiss roll tin (I use Pyrex microwaveable glassware, sometimes the cake tin too.) Cut 100g/4oz of the butter into pieces. Sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the chopped butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles crumbs. Stir in the caster sugar and orange zest. Pour in most of the milk and mix, using a flat-bladed knife, to form a soft scone dough, adding more milk if it seems too dry.
  2. Form into a ball with your hands, but don’t overhandle. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to the same size as the base of the tin (when I first tried this recipe, I used a roller pin to roll out the dough, after that, got a little lazy, I put the whole ball in the centre of the baking tin and press it to spread it out evenly). Lift the dough into the tin and gently press in.
  3. Scatter the plums over the scone dough and dot the remaining butter on top. Mix together the light muscovado sugar (I use brown sugar and it taste great too) and cinnamon and sprinkle over the plums. Pour the orange juice over the top.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes until the base is golden and the plums bubbling and juicy.
  5. Remove from the oven, dust with icing sugar, cut into 12 squares and serve with cream or crème fraiche (I don’t know what this is so I prefer to eat with ice cream).

No comments: