ABOUT ME, BRIEFLY


ABOUT THAM CHEE WAH, BRIEFLY

I have redefined retirement at age 23. I have a lifestyle where I do the things I like, with the time I have and still get paid for it. I designed my freedom these two decades, traveling to more than 40 countries. I run a successful business doing consulting works as a Corporate Writer, Corporate Emcee, Event Producer and a Workshop Facilitator. I am also a talk-show host on an Internet Radio station with two programs "A Course In Miracles for Work-Life" and "Freedom Speaks". Life is Healthy, Rich & FREE! You can design this lifestyle according to your willingness. I hope mine will inspire you to achieve that freedom too.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Toastmasters Club - the highway to my lifestyle makeover




Joining Toastmasters Club was a decision I made 10 years ago because I wanted to tell stories to a ready audience. I learnt so much thereafter that I launched my career in training and events management. I am also now a much sought after corporate Master-of-Ceremonies.

I was only in employment for 5 years. In that 5 years of employment, I worked with 5 different companies. After that I started my interior design company and successfully managed it for 11 years. So, I have never attended a company's annual dinner, let alone knowing how corporate comapnies work.

But Toastmasters open up lots of opportunities for me to get a taste of corporate lives. Working with so many fun and loving corporate people was inspiring. I was KL2002 District 51 Toastmaters Annual Convention Chairman. The convention was held for the very 1st time in Kuala Lumpur after District 51 been in existence for 9 years. The convention attracted about 1,000 Toastmasters members from 15 different countries. In the process of organising the event, I learnt the most important lessons in loving people and leading a group of corporate highfliers to work harmoniously together.

It was a tediuos and a time-consuming 3-year planning process. We had about 20 main committee members comprising of MBA qualifiers, General Managers, Entrepreneurs, Doctor, Corporate Trainers and many more corporate highfliers. We broke into groups led by various Events Directors, such as Sponsorship Director, Workshop Director, Venue Director, Program Director and so on, for each event throughout the 3 day event. We had, at the end of the day, about 100 sub-committee members.

The end result was spell-binding, inspiring, life-changing for most of us, an event even other organisers talk about until today. To me, the learning experience catapulted me to discover my inner potential. The realisation of my innate talents was so strong, it eventually led me to give up my 11 years of Interior Design business.

From that day on, there was no looking back. I went on to take up challenges I knew I had but did not put them to good use. These 10 years in Toastmasters, I had so much fun playing exciting roles and building a reputation through them, eventually, I am paid handsomely in terms of professional fees. What roles did I pursue?

Acting in Astro's TV series

One of the expression I like was extending my acting and theatrical talents. I love theatrical plays and arty-movies for years. Whenever I am in London, which I was there for about more than 6 times now, I had never missed going to the musical and other broadway plays. So, when I saw the advertisement on Astro looking for new talents for their cantonese TV series, I jumped at the opportunity. I went for the audition where I had to memorise a script and acted it out. Then, they wanted me to talk to the camera for more than 5 minutes - no script, no preparation, no topic. The moment the director said go, I began talking. This was where my Toastmasters training came into play. Just like Table Topics Session in a Toastmaters regular meeting. I was so well rehearsed with Table Topics Session that when I was asked to speak to a camera, it just went off natually.

Finally, I got myself a profile with a production house which produces TV series for Astro. I got into playing many roles thereafter. I had played Doctors, Marketing Manager, Cusotmer etc. I really enjoyed acting in front of a camera. The best thing, I was paid for it.

Naturally, when we were planning an impersonation for a Toastmaters outing at Port Dickson last year, my team and I came up with a fun and daring idea. We chose to impersonate The Three Degrees gyrating to their tune "When Will I See You Again". The performance was so funny, I laughed throughout the rehearsal period. I laughed so much, I can't even move.

Oh yes, the bra was real (what cup-ah? I don't know, but it fits), the high heel shoes were real, the skirt was real. The best thing was, I had so much fun. And everyone did, they told me they laughed until their bellies hurt.

Master of Ceremonies for corporate funtions

These 10 years in Toastmaters, I had raised my hand to volunteer for many functions and events in Toastmasters Clubs up to the District level that I improved my MC abilities. I am so experienced and I learnt so much from my MC engagement that I had been conducting workshops to teach everyone how to excel as an MC.

I began emcee-ing in Toastmasters for free. Most of the functions and events in my club and at District level, I sometimes head the team, or I was one of the trainers, or I was the MC. Imagine that I had spoken in front of so many audiences, and because I am so good and so experienced, naturally there will be a General Manager or a CEO or a Talent Search Expert in the audience. That was how I was "picked up". Initial years I had been doing it for free for organisations such as Malaysian Nature Society, Toastmasters Clubs etc. As I grew to be a professional, I was being paid starting at only RM200.00. Then, companies began to offer me more. So, I began to know my "worth" and my "market value". Now I am offered RM1,000 for each engagement. Some launching events only required me to be on stage from 10am - 12noon, I am paid the same.

And I thank you all for the offers, I am so fortunate be able to serve you all.

I did not, in my slightest test of my will, expected to take up MC professionally. Thanks to Toastmasters, I am now a full fletch professional MC and a much sought after one.

My advice to all, find out more and go join Toastmasters, you will unveil your inner talents - and networking is fun and great in Toastmasters too!!

As Corporate Trainer

I never, in my waking hours, had the inclination to be a Trainer. The funny thing was, I asked my friend, who is a Consultant (Trainer) what he does actually. Then he went on to explain what a Trainer and a Consultant do, then I just left it as it is.

Now I am one. Thanks to Toastmasters.

It is a natural progress when I began giving presentations to so many people and organisations. Initially, it all started for free. Then, when I took one year sabbatical, corporations began to call me and offer me training contracts. So, like MC job, I started off by accepting offers that paid me only RM700.00. But there was so much joy and satisfaction.

Eventually, it built up to be a profession I can also work at. I had, in the past 5 years, since going pro, trained personnels from these corporations - MIMOS, AMI Insurance, Barber International, SBB Mutual, Extra Excel International etc.

I am now leading an exceptional life, thanks to Toastmasters.

An Exceptional Life, indeed!

This is the way I live my life now. My full-time business in freeze dried fruits & vegetables is running very well. I am able to exercise my talents fully. I don't know what I am going to do next, but it will be an explosion, no doubt!!

Cest la vie and seize the day!!

P.S. I am a member of D'Utama Advanced Toastmasters Club, check our activities

No comments: